Friday, October 5, 2018

I AM OFTEN ASKED "HOW DO YOU DO IT?" MY ANSWER: "KEEP MOVING!"




Anyone who knows me hears me constantly say "keep moving!"


A few years back my husband and I were traveling from Illinois to Duluth Minnesota. We left quite late as I had to finish installing custom draperies for a customer of mine. My husband drove all the way to just north of Eau Claire, Wisconsin where I took over the driving. About forty minutes later I went to sleep at the wheel and went into the median ditch. We were airborne over a culvert and stopped on the other side, After a stunned moment I opened my door to get out - My husband groaned "don't move, you may have broken bones!" I mumbled back "gotta move, gotta move!." By then people had stopped and told me to stop trying to walk, as I was hunched over the hood of the car trying to move.
Ambulance came shortly and we were taken to the hospital in Eau Claire, then by helicopter to Milwaukee. My husband had a broken back and bruises and I had less serious but painful broken ribs, cracked collar bone and bruised sternum.

 In just a few days  was able to get up and move around, after being taped up, - albeit painful breathing! - I was told that because I was in the habit of moving I had healed faster!

I honestly believe that my determination in always moving has kept me fit even into my nineties. I do my sit-ups before getting out of bed - then planks, cat and dog stretches, hamstring and a little hop. Even when traveling - which I do a lot of -  I like to do my "microwave hop" dance in the kitchen and "shake my body all about"!

It's so tempting to "take it easy" and become a couch potato and frankly get rusty, which reminds me... a  month ago I was in Winona, Minnesota. Driving by a farm and I saw what looked like rusted-out model T-Ford. The weeds had grown up all around it as it sat in the field. I kept driving and arrived into town. As I came to an intersection and slowed for a stop-light a Model T-Ford pulled up on its way to the Antique Car Show I knew was in town. Wow! It's body was impeccably painted shining sea-green, the white-wall tires were spotless white and gleaming chrome!
I am no antique car expert, but Model T-Fords are hard to miss, I couldn't help but to think: One car was at "rest" and rusting in the field, the other was oiled up, kept up and moving!

Lesson here? Don't let your body "rust up" it's the only one you'll have!

Keep dancing, keep moving! Yes I'm chronologically gifted with 93+ years
and still able to jump my rope...

There is an old rule in neuroscience that does not alter with age... use it or lose it...





No comments:

Post a Comment