Saturday, June 23, 2018

ON THE HERITAGE TRAIL IN ICELAND.


                                                 THE HERITAGE TRAIL.

My youngest daughter, Heidi, and I recently got back from Iceland. What a delightful trip, we went on the Ring-road stopping at places of interest to us, we have been to Iceland several times and were not stopping at the usual touristy places. We had something different on our minds.We were on our heritage trail.

From the time I was about six years old I went to my Grandparents farm in Vopnafjörður, on the east coast, every summer until I was in my early teens. Every Fall I would return to Reykjavik to be with my parents over the winter and go to school. Since I married and moved to America I had gone back home several times but always drawn to grandpa´s farm where I had spent so much of my growing up time. Hámundarstaðir was the name of the farm, this was on my Father´s side. I knew where Mother was from on the west coast, Breiðarfjörður, but had not really researched or pin-pointed exactly where.

I learned that she was born in Frakkanesi, Skarðshreppur Dalur. We drove along the entire coastline on one side and mountain ranges on the other. We tried to get to this church but the road became impassable for our vehicle. Maybe next time!
It was easy for me to imagine my mother as a young girl playing and running after sunspots like I used to do! Sweet memories, what a blessing.


No comments:

Post a Comment